Tenant FAQ's

sign up

Tenant resources:

Tenant FAQs

Q. Why do you require references and carry out a credit check?

This is to ensure we are finding a suitable tenant for the landlords property. If you have any adverse credit history it does not mean you are automatically disqualified. It is important that you be honest on your application. Any false information will result in an automatic fail.


Q. Why do I need a guarantor?

This is usually required in cases where the tenant is a low earner or is on Housing Benefit. The purpose of a guarantor is to guarantee the rent will be paid if the tenant cannot. If the tenant falls behind in their rent, the guarantor will be held responsible for covering any losses.


Q. How much do I have to earn to rent a property?

It depends on how much the rent is, we use a referencing company who work from an earnings/rent ratio. It is best to contact our office to find out what you can afford.


Q. Do I have to pay a deposit for renting a property?

Yes, this is held for the duration of the tenancy. The amount is usually equivalent to one months rent and is refundable at the end of the tenancy so long as there are no breaches of the contract and the property is left in an acceptable condition. Check your tenancy for full details.


Q. Do I have to pay advance rent?

In most cases yes. Sometimes landlords will make exceptions and make an agreement with the tenant to pay it off over a period of time. Contact our office to find out more information.


Q. Will private landlords accept DHSS?

In most cases yes, but some landlords may make exceptions. You need to speak the the landlord or agent to find out in what circumstances this would be exempt. It depends on the landlord. Alot of landlords do accept DHSS, but some do not. It is important that you find out how much Housing Benefit you are entitled to, so that if there is a shortfall, you will know if you can afford it or not. 


Q. What is 'fair wear and tear'?

Whenever a tenant moves out of a property. The landlord has to allow for reasonable 'fair wear and tear.' This is down the the discretion of the landlord but usually takes into account how long a tenant has lived at the property. Fair wear and tear does not include any damages or neglect to the property or its contents.


Q. Can I stay longer than the the term stated on my tenancy agreement?

Yes it is possible, however this will always need to be agreed with the landlord and it is best to come to an agreement before the end of the tenancy term.


Q. What do I do if I have a problem with my landlord?

If you have a dispute with your landlord and it cannot be resolved, as a last resort you can write to the property ombudsman at: Beckett House, 4 Bridge House, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 2LX.